Awesome Dad Draws Characters on Lunch Bags Everyday

Re-Post Of StudioVox Crew - June 17th, 2016

Because I love this site and love what they do and are doing with spreading the word around of amazing artist is so many forms I am glad to have the opportunity to be able to re-post there daily post that I get from them straight in to my gmail.  Lucky me and lucky you since now I am posting them here.

No this is not some lame way for me in skating by and taking it easy in creating new post just for my blog here................ or is it.........  OK, maybe a little but really, for at least a couple of weeks now I have been wanting to figure out how to save all the wonderful emails I do get from them on a daily basis and only wish I had been doing it sooner but glad I am doing it now.

So I will probably be posting these past paragraphs for a little bit until I feel it is necessary not to do so and a link to StudioVox's site as you see below.

https://studiovox.com/members/studiovox


The StudioVox Crew
Lunch Bag Art by Thomas Volpe
Talk about one awesome Dad! Everyday, Thomas Volpe draws a new picture on a ziplock bag for his son's snack to take to school. These are some seriously brilliant snack bags. He's done illustrations of Iron Man, Spider Man, The Cookie Monster and more! 
Volpe describes the project like this - 
The Snack Bag Project: 
For My Son.

1 bag. 1 sharpie. 1 shot.
A lot of love.
"The idea for "The Snack Bag Project" actually came to me one night after watching cartoons with my sons. I put them to bed and I started making lunches for the following day.
As I grabbed a ziplock bag for my son's snack, I thought... why not draw a quick sketch on his bag! I have this creativity and talent that I share with the world, I want to put it to 'better use'.
The general idea was just to make him smile at school when he would take his lunch out of his school bag. That very first bag was the start of something special.
Special for my sons in that every day they look forward to the new characters on the bags, but also for myself. The sound of pure joy and laughs as they run down the steps to see what today will bring is the best way to start my day.
The very first bags were quick and crude. Each taking around 5 minutes to do. As time went on, I added more and more details and eventually color. Now a bag can take up to 30 minutes to complete.
I choose the subject of the bags based on the characters my kids like. When I start to run out of ideas, I will introduce something new ( a new cartoon, comic book or movie) that I think they will like. This will generally give me more material to work with.
Everyday is a new challenge with "a sketch a day" and not being able to erase sharpie marker I have to pay more attention to details, making sure my hand/lines are right the 1st time around. This has been a fantastic exercise that has made me a better artist overall. Details I would have once glanced right past now pop out at me, as seen in my "Iron Zombie" illustration."
An artist from Staten Island, NY, Volpe's work ranges from detailed graphite illustrations, to fun color pencil works, to simple cartoons done with a sharpie.
"In school I was usually getting in trouble for doodling on paper rather than taking notes." he says."Some how I still managed good grades and built a strong portfolio that got me accepted to The School Of Visual Arts in NYC, where I graduated with a degree in illustration."
Lunch Bag Art of Spiderman by Thomas Volpe
Lunch Bag Art of Iron Man by Thomas Volpe 2
Lunch Bag Art by Thomas Volpe
Lunch Bag Art by Thomas Volpe
Lunch Bag Art by Thomas Volpe
Lunch Bag Art of Donald Duck by Thomas Volpe

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Photographer of the Week - Kory Zuccarelli

Splice A Monkey, don't you see?!

Five Portrait Photographers You Should Know