How My Artistic Life Began........

On a day in August, in what now seems like another life time, over twenty years ago, I sat down at my table in my studio apartment with my first free day in months.  It was a time in my life when I would get up at 5:00 every morning and go non-stop until 11:00-12:00, with a little power nap at around 4:00 - 4:30 before going to my night job.  I asked myself "what am I going to do today?"

It was at a time in my life that I was going through my separation with my ex-husband, stage actor Derrick Weeden, and I was starting to question what I was going to do with my life, so I enrolled in a life drawing class in the fall.  The class was just a few short weeks away and I remember sitting at my table where there was a smaller Strathmore drawing tablet I had colored in from years ago, and some colored pencils that were used to create a huge sign saying Happy 30th Birthday Derrick.

I remember thinking that if I am going to learn how to draw I might as well start with something small.  I had a finger nail file and I traced it and colored it in using 6 different colors to create the right shades.  I was rather proud with myself and like it enough that I kept on going and here I am now writing this to you.

I wonder what I would be doing if I never picked up that finger nail file and traced it?

The little twist and turns in our life that we might not always see the bigger picture, as they occur.  Which brings me to as you -

WHAT IF?

Take the chance that might just change your life!

Below is my first masterpiece.  Enjoy!

This piece is called "Lover's First Kiss" and is 14" high by 11" wide and was started in 1993, finished in 1994.  Over a year and a half I spent approximately 400 hours creating this piece because of a technique I was doing by following my intuition.  It required many, many layers of colored pencils that were delicately applied over each other without canceling out the previous layer which ends up giving it so much more depth and life.  This technique is called "Pigmented Chiaroscuro."  I wish you could see it in person, there is so much more detail!

Below are images of the same piece but I was having a bit of fun last fall with manipulating the colors and look of the piece by way of photoshop.  WHAT FUN!





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Photographer of the Week - Kory Zuccarelli

Splice A Monkey, don't you see?!

Five Portrait Photographers You Should Know