Wild Souls by Isbjorn Viot - (My Admiration For These Beasts Just Grew 10 Fold!)

Re-Post Of StudioVox Crew - October 7th, 2016

Because I love this site and love what they do and are doing with spreading the word around of amazing artist in so many forms I am glad to have the opportunity to be able to re-post there daily post that I get from them straight in to my gmail.  Lucky me and lucky you since now I am posting them here.

No this is not some lame way for me in skating by and taking it easy in creating new post just for my blog here................ or is it.........  OK, maybe a little but really, for at least a couple of weeks now I have been wanting to figure out how to save all the wonderful emails I do get from them on a daily basis and only wish I had been doing it sooner but glad I am doing it now.

So I will probably be posting these past paragraphs for a little bit until I feel it is necessary not to do so and a link to StudioVox's site as you see below.


The StudioVox Crew
Wildlife Photography by Isbjorn Viot
Famed photographer Ansel Adams once said, “A great photograph is one that fully expresses what one feels, in the deepest sense, about what is being photographed.”   
The awe-inspiring beauty of the wildlife photographer Isbjorn Viot's work expresses his deep respect for the majesty, beauty and grace of his incredible subjects.  An ode to elegance and nature, Viot's photographs capture the stunning serene moments of animals in the wild. "I prefer to focus on the beauty of nature rather than wild raw action, I enjoy sharing my passion for the elegance of this majestic continent and its endangered wildlife" he says.  
"Having moved to Namibia from Bretagne, France, when I was 15, I quickly fell in love with Africa. Feeling home in the wild, I rapidly embraced an adventurous journey in lodges where guiding and management became my career. From equatorial forests to the immensity of the Serengeti, capturing the alluring beauty of Nature grew into my life's passion. With my camera and my love for Africa, I seek to share the fragile moments of magic that makes this continent so extraordinary...
StudioVox had the opportunity to talk with Viot about his incredible work and creative process. 
Wildlife Photography by Isbjorn Viot
SV: How did you become interested in photography?
IV: Having always been in total awe and admiration toward Nature, my childhood was spent gazing at the wild. It is only when I moved to South Africa that photography became part of my life. I was working in an exciting environment (The Karoo Biome: one of the 25 biodiversity hotspot in the world) and the wonders I kept finding were fascinating: the Karoo is home to countless endemic species of succulents, many of them looking like corals.
Unfortunately I did not have all resources to correctly identify the gems. Therefore I created a Facebook account (hence the name “Okaroo”) and started capturing the beauty of the tiny floral treasures to share with botany enthusiasts to help for identification. Then that was it! I realized how rewarding and enjoyable it was, to capture and share different faces of beauty. Ever since, my camera is always with me!
Wildlife Photography by Isbjorn Viot
SV: What do you love about wildlife photography?
IV: Of course being out in the wild is always pleasurable; but I would say that what I love most is probably the ephemeral moments of magic. Indeed when on safari, there is no two moments like the other. Everything is unique and special. One must learn to embrace the unpredictable and be ready to be amazed. 
There is no greater feeling than witnessing a ‘special sighting’.  Although not all safaris are fruitful, nevertheless, every safari produces an overwhelming excitement of the “what if?” and “maybe we will see…” This excitement, to me, is a driving motor to my photography: never cease to be amazed, never cease to be grateful for the moment. 
At the end of the day, whether the leopard showed up or not, it is all about the joy of being where such moments can happen. Wildlife photography is, to me, a pure form of togetherness and belonging with the natural world. Sightings may not last long, but the humbling feeling of encountering the Wild lasts forever. Carpe diem.
Wildlife Photography by Isbjorn Viot
SV: What's your creative process behind your shots?
IV: The key aspects I try to focus on are: wild, magic, emotions and moments. Through these key words, I tend to seek an aesthetic approach to wildlife photography.  Very much influenced by other forms of art (from Ikebana to Fauvism). I look for captures that would sublime the moment. I find minimalism an effective approach to reach the viewer and therefore try to isolate my subject while allowing for a soft, canvas like, background.
I am not afraid of post-editing nor am I ashamed (although I do not “change” a picture, if it is not good in the first place then Lightroom will not help….). Thanks to few tweaks ( I use lightroom for exposure/contrast/vibrance/cropping and then Photoshop for noise reduction and to accurately adjust the “levels”).
A simple picture can portray an emotion or the magic of a moment. Focusing on colors and elegance, I try to communicate on the Beauty of the Wild: as much as nature is raw and impartial, the vision I would like to share is of total 'Awe for what we are part of. The world is beautiful and I intend to be an ambassador of such beauty.'
Wildlife Photography by Isbjorn Viot
SV: Any risky situations you've been in while shooting?
IV: Yes, indeed. But before I get into further details I would like to stress the following: I am a trained and qualified guide and one should always be in such company when going out in the Wild. Nature and animals have to be respected and one needs to be able to read behaviors and predict potential challenges.
I have been charged a few times by quite a few animals but never felt any real threat. However one day was different. We had heard of a cheetah in front of one of the guest’s room in my current place of work (Kusini). So a friend and myself (Saitoti, a housekeeper but also born and bred genuine Maasai) started to walk a little closer to the area to see if we could spot the cat. We were just about a 100 meters from the room. Unfortunately, the wind turned and with that came a previously unnoticed presence: a Dagga Boy (a lone old buffalo bull). Having picked up our scent, the bull charged straight for us. (Kusini is close to the Serengeti National Park boundary and there is a game reserve nearby which allows trophy hunting. Therefore many old bulls come to our side but with a determined hatred for humans and sometimes even vehicles).
He was just uphill from us (100 meters or so) and came full speed. Both Saitoti and myself immediately ran for safety (guest room) but my Maasai friend was a lot faster than me and the bull came after me. I could hear his growls and felt his breaths behind me as I was running like never before with the only worry to not break my precious camera. I eventually realized that he was too close and that I was not going to reach the room in time so I jumped in a thorn bush as I made a turn.
Fortunately the buffalo fell for my “trick” and carried on running further as he could not see me anymore… It all ended well but it was a good reminder that one must never be too comfortable and to always be ready for the unpredictable. 
Wildlife Photography by Isbjorn Viot
SV: How did you become interested in guiding and management?
IV: Although it was a natural path for me to take as I had been raised on wildlife documentaries and thousands of books/encyclopedia/magazines, it came unexpectedly. Thanks to my Father’s then contract, we moved from France to Namibia when I was 15. We stayed for 3 years and it changed my life. The return to France was not pleasant and therefore I decided to set off to Namibia again. 
Through some hard work, I managed to save enough for the trip but still had to find an occupation! I had no other qualifications than few languages and an immense love for wildlife. Through my research, I found that a safari company was looking for a French speaking Assistant lodge manager, so I gave it a try and went for the interview. It was a hit and we were both (with “my” employer) happy to start a new journey.  
Within few months, I passed my guiding certificate and then realized that it was the life I wanted. Living in the bush, at a lodge, is challenging in many ways but if it is within you, then there is no better place to be!
Wildlife Photography by Isbjorn Viot
SV: Do you have a dream destination to shoot and do you have any upcoming locations your planning on for this year?
IV: Dream Destinations: Photographing the Bonobos in the Democratic Republic of Congo and photographing the Abyssinian Wolves in Ethiopia.
The plans for the end of the year and next are quite exciting, yet, still in the process of planning! However, I will probably go back to Odzala National Park, Republic of Congo, which is one of my favorite places in the world. The feeling of pioneering and discovery is exceptional and it is Africa as wild as it gets!
Furthermore, I have plans to contribute to Conservation through my photography. Currently busy preparing a project, I will soon team with a renowned Conservation Organization to help document and raise awareness in the fight against poaching. Will keep you updated…
Wildlife Photography by Isbjorn Viot
SV: What advice do you have for the aspiring wildlife photographer?
IV: Be positive and be creative!
I cannot stress enough the importance of being positive: life is beautiful and you are out doing what you love most so enjoy it! I have seen too many photographers getting extremely impatient or frustrated to try and get the shot. If it is not meant to then be it, what matters is your approach: if you are having a good time then it will show in your work. Even if the shots wanted were not taken, it is all about being out there…
Creativity is another important aspect. Do not be afraid to try, or to go wild with your compositions or editing, for it is YOUR art! By letting your creativity free then you will be able to make most of any situation. So be inspired by others, not jealous, but focus on YOUR work and find your artistic character.
Wildlife Photography by Isbjorn Viot

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Photographer of the Week - Kory Zuccarelli

Splice A Monkey, don't you see?!

Five Portrait Photographers You Should Know