Sundance Exhibition - Simple Complexities by Sonya Cuellar (Remarkably Beautiful!)

Re-Post Of StudioVox Crew - July 7th, 2016

Because I love this site and love what they do and are doing with spreading the word around of amazing artist is so many forms I am glad to have the opportunity to be able to re-post there daily post that I get from them straight in to my gmail.  Lucky me and lucky you since now I am posting them here.

No this is not some lame way for me in skating by and taking it easy in creating new post just for my blog here................ or is it.........  OK, maybe a little but really, for at least a couple of weeks now I have been wanting to figure out how to save all the wonderful emails I do get from them on a daily basis and only wish I had been doing it sooner but glad I am doing it now.

So I will probably be posting these past paragraphs for a little bit until I feel it is necessary not to do so and a link to StudioVox's site as you see below.


The StudioVox Crew
 mixed media painting by artist sonya cuellar
StudioVox is thrilled to announce that Fine Art Painter, Sonya Cuellar was selected by Sundance Cinemas Gallery of Robert Redford's Sundance Group for an exclusive exhibition at their Sundance Cinema Gallery in Houston, TX. The artist’s work was chosen from a group of local artists who submitted their work for consideration to Sundance via an exclusive partnership with StudioVox.
Cuellar’s exhibition entitled, “Simple Complexities” runs from June 19 through September 2016 and includes contemporary abstract pieces that  reflect emotions inspired by light and how it transforms common objects, such as a fold of cloth, a person's face, or a creation of nature.  Cuellar starts with a singular vision in mind and lets the canvas carry her message.
 mixed media painting by artist sonya cuellar
“I think too often we make things more complex than they need to be. We put too much thought into things that are actually quite simple. It’s easy to get lost in the world, especially with the amount of darkness we face each day but there is always light.”
Cuellar is also an accomplished photographer and says that much of her work is inspired by photographs she has taken.  “Since I do mostly abstract work, I am very much drawn to colors, shapes, shadows and light. When I take a photograph, sometimes a part or whole of that photo will inspire my work.  I generally go into a piece not exactly knowing what I want to create but more focused on what colors and general mood I am hoping will develop as I work on the piece."
 mixed media painting by artist sonya cuellar
There is an emotional thoughtfulness that Cuellar hopes to inspire with her work, "When they see my work, will want to look a little deeper. I think too often people have a tendency to want to immediately see “something” in a piece of abstract artwork and will often ask, “what is it?” I want the viewer to look, to think, to feel and see before they walk away. I hope the pieces will bring joy and thoughtfulness."
 mixed media painting by artist sonya cuellar
Sonya began painting on a small wooden TV tray in her tiny Houston Heights garage apartment eventually turning her also tiny dining room into a studio. Many years later and at the urging of family and friends, Sonya decided to begin taking classes at the Glassell School of Art at the Houston Museum of Fine Arts and after some time decided to pursue her dream of becoming a professional artist. Sonya has now been painting for over 14 years.
 mixed media painting by artist sonya cuellar
Thrilled to have been selected for a Sundance Exhibition, Cuallar is excited to be showing her work in such a wonderful space.  "I feel very honored to have been selected to showcase my work at Sundance Theaters. It’s a beautiful theater and gallery and the opportunity to have people see my work who might not otherwise is wonderful. I know in the past when I’ve visited, I have always enjoyed seeing the work of other artists and it’s incredible now that the work I see is mine."
 mixed media painting by artist sonya cuellar
Over the next year Sonya will continue to explore mixed media, "I just moved into a new studio so I’m excited to see what the energy of a new studio space brings. I am also planning a big show to raise therapy funds for my four year old nephew who was recently diagnosed with Dravet Syndrome, which is a severe form of epilepsy."
Sonya has a strong commitment to her community and has donated numerous pieces to local and nationwide charities including the Leukemia Lymphoma Society and the American Heart Association. Among others, her pieces have been exhibited in the Studio Gallery, the Jack Meier Gallery and seven of her pieces were exhibited in The Galveston Historical Foundation's reconstruction project Green Revival following Hurricane Ike.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Photographer of the Week - Kory Zuccarelli

Splice A Monkey, don't you see?!

Five Portrait Photographers You Should Know